Saturday, October 14, 2006

Politics: Maybe it's just me...

...but I have a hard time envisioning the following conversation:

"Son?"

"Yeah, dad?"

"I've found you a fantastic interning gig. Instead of that summer job at the office we'd talked about, I've instead arranged you a position in a crime-ridden East Coast city, working as a gopher for an extremely incompetent company that can't balance its books. You'll spend your time surrounded by 435 middle-aged men who are power-hungry, egotistical, and totally lacking in scruples of any kind. You'll love it."


At least, I assume that's how the whole "Congressional Page" thing gets, er... is "pimped" the right word to use in this context?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always assumed it was filled with the sort of people who ran for class president (and thought it mattered) attended model UN (ditto) and were constantly involved in ten bazillion 'community service' projects, while me and my friends cut gym to play D&D, hack Apple IIs, and read 'Soldier Of Fortune'. You know, the type that grows up to be Congresscritters and other annoying sorts of people. (A sick, sick, side of me is saying that, well then, they're getting done to them what they'll eventually be doing to us...)

Anonymous said...

I dunno. But am I the only person who remembers sex scandels involving Senate Pages 'way back int he 60s and 70s?
Obviously, as lot of parents don't...

Anonymous said...

Parents don't care if their kids will be sexually molested by them as long as it looks good on a résumé. Talk to some of these parents sometime. They're the ones that have been pushing structured extracurricular stuff on their kids since they were two. Then of course no one can figure out why these kids grow up to be so emotionally fragile and helpless unless everything is spelled out for them. The pharmaceutical industry loves them, though.

theirritablearchitect said...

"pimped", yes, that is the correct word, and in more than one way.

I think you get my drift.

phlegmfatale said...

why does the very thought of this topic make my foot long to kick and my fingers long to reach for the anti-bacterial gel?
Oh, and my thoughts, exactly, d.w. drang - Well, at least to the 70s I remember being a young teenager and hearing that tired old saw about the "pages bent over." Much eye-rolling here.

Firehand said...

Something I've never understood. Does hooking your kid up with some political figure/s mean THAT much to you? And why?

I'd think your kids are safer at one of Uncle Sam's Schools for Wayward Children than in that bloody place. And they'd learn something other than "How to screw other people and tell them they're better off for it".