Sunday, May 16, 2010

.32 Issues.

  • The Dreyse M1907 had some issues with light primer strikes. This is because the aft section of the firing pin (which protrudes from the rear of the weapon when the arm is cocked) appears to be missing. Seeing as how this section accounts for maybe a quarter of the firing pin's mass, its absence has a deleterious effect on reliability with the S&B primers, which are hard as woodpecker lips.
  • Speaking of not busting caps, the H&R was barely leaving the faintest kiss on the primers. I need to strip it down and see what the deal is. I have yet to field strip the H&R, so for all I know, despite its nearly pristine exterior, the striker channel may be full of almost a hundred years' worth of congealed 3-in-1.
  • The rounds that didn't go off in the Dreyse or the H&R? Why, I loaded them in one of my Colt 1903s and sent them downrange. Help me John Moses Browning, you're my only hope!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes not firing isn't a bad thing. I purchased a Savage .32 like you have and got the bejezus bit out of my hand. Besides, if they all shot just fine, you wouldn't have fun trying to fix'em. Heck, that's almost as much fun as shooting and you can do it at home.

Al T.

atlharp said...

.32 issues? Other than it might as well be a center fire .22?

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

well, damn

Matt G said...

I have found that, in small pistols with tiny firing pins, S&B pistol primers are just too hard. I first noticed this with my P11 with their 9mm ammo. I'm a fan of S&B for rifle, but it's dodgey in small pistol.

Matthew said...

What are the other 30 issues?

Anonymous said...

Matthew, make that 29... :D

Al T.

wv - wetat - and yes it is raining here.. How do it know?

Don M said...

You know, I have a pretty good life. I don't have to worry about my Dreyse not functioning...

ajdshootist said...

I always found that Federal were the softest small pistol primers and worked well in pistols that had light strikes.

SpeakerTweaker said...

Hard as woodpecker lips?

I'm totally using that. I'll give credit.



tweaker

Anonymous said...

What Tweaker said.

Jim

Kristophr said...

I need a replacement magazine for my H&R ... the current one is so worn that if I load more than six rounds in it, they all fountain up out of it the second I try to insert the magazine.

This should be a special search ... kinda like finding Frommer Stop parts.

( I blame Tam for my new bad habit of collecting old pocket pistols. )

Montie said...

Tam,

Doesn't Roberta have a Savage or two? I would have liked to see you shoot it alongside the others and right up the comparison. I could be persuaded to loan my Savage and my Remington for such a project. Obviously you wouldn't need to borrow a Colt, since you have an abundance :)

JPG said...

Hey, Tams - -

What is the proper pronunciation of the name "Dreyse?" Like Dray-see? Or Drayse, to rhyme with "place?" Or otherwise?

This is the first time this question has come to mind during discussion with one whose opinion on the topic I respect. Somehow, I can't feature you owning an arm without knowing how to say the name.
JPG

Tam said...

My rusty German I tells me to say it "DRY-zee".

staghounds said...

What are you looking for, a .32 auto that is...

wait for it...



Infallible?