Thursday, October 20, 2011

Surplus to requirements...

I have a bunch of longneck-beer-case-size boxes that are all, like, a quarter- to half-full of ammo in the factory boxes.

While I was at Lowe's yesterday, picking up a couple new pairs of work gloves (long story), I had one of those moments where the little 20-watt bulb flickers on over your head, and I grabbed a few clear plastic stackable totes.

Anyhow, while getting the ammo re-sorting project underway yesterday evening, I started running across some ammunition that was surplus to requirements:
  1. A box of Winchester .40 Black Talon with 9 rounds left, one of which evinces extreme setback.
  2. A 50-rd box of Winchester Ranger .40 155gr (RA40155HP) with 44 rounds left.
  3. A full 50-rd box of Winchester Ranger .40 165gr Partition Gold (RA401P).
  4. A 20-rd box of Winchester 10mm 175gr Silvertips, containing 15 Silvertips and 7 of what appear to be 180gr Double Tap JHPs. (And the price tag on the box reads $12.99! Now there's nostalgia!)
  5. A full 20-rd box of Cor-Bon 10mm 200gr FMJ "Penetrators" (200gr @ 1150fps = 587 fpe.)
For trade? Sale? Anybody coming to this weekend's blogmeet have a use for any of this stuff? I'm open to suggestions...

14 comments:

Jim said...

That much .40 and 10 suggests that, in her extreme youth, someone was overexposed to the writings of the (admittedly sainted) Col. Cooper. :)

Tam said...

Jim,

Actually, back in the day, I was not at all a fan of the 1911, although I did find the old guy who wrote the back page column of G&A entertaining (if all wet about his love of .45 FMJ...)

In '93 I briefly carried a Ruger P-91, before switching to the G23 that I toted until it was replaced with a Glock 29 in early 2000.

It's kind of strange that I don't currently own a gun in .40 or 10mm. I mean, I've owned a 10mm Ruger Vaquero!

the pawnbroker said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Tam, I've been known to BUY a gun because I had ammo in that caliber. That would be my suggestion.

Tam said...

I have absolutely no desire to own a firearm in .40; I think the round has largely been obsoleted by improvements in bullet design.

And, while I'll own another 10mm someday, I'm sure, it won't be anytime soon.

Tango Juliet said...

Only one .40 in the flock now. I haven't fired it in years.

Gewehr98 said...

Ooh. 10mm. Drool...

Just My 2¢ said...

I just had to move all of my ammo. My 100 rounds of Winchester .38 Special +P Metal Penetrating ammo is certainly surplus to my requirements, but I keep it in case I ever run into armored zombies.

jakeblade said...

How about $150, then?

jakeblade said...

Oops. I'll be in Indy the weekend of 11/12/11. I'll pay for shipping if it's possible to ship ammo.

Will said...

Yeah, after realizing how susceptible the .40 is to Kabooming! due to setback, and how the G27 causes setback, I'm planning on converting mine to 9mm. Plus, ammo is cheaper.

Just My 2¢ said...

(Private message)
Tam,
Regarding the .40 S&W...
I had an email conversation with Pat Rogers (http://www.eagtactical.com/abouteag.asp) about the .40 S&W. You might be interested in hearing why he never uses one. His reasons probably follow along the same lines as yours.

If you'd like, we can move this off to a side channel.

Regards,
Dave Doyle
dhdoyle@gmail.com

Hat Trick said...

I can't use any of those.

I also know from experience that a 56 qt. tote full of .45 still in boxes will be gut busting heavy. Better get Roberta to help lift when you move them or don't fill them up.

Jerry said...

Just a thought, get yoosef one of those Tanfoglio 10mm CZ knockoffs, then, shoot or reload what you wish. 10 or 40.