Saturday, August 25, 2012

Firearms-Related Miscellenia:

Went out to Premier Arms with Turk Turon yesterday. Out on the rack, among the more pedestrian Glenfield Model 60s, shotguns of various types, and a small clutch of Mausers, was a Dutch M71/88 Beaumont-Vitali. It is now on layaway. I'm a sucker for military black powder cartridge rifles. Also, while I was there, they straightened up the front sight on my Glock 19 for nothing when I mentioned that it was crooked in the course of telling a funny anecdote...

Speaking of which, I arrived home from Tennessee to be told by my roommate that my package had arrived from Brownells. Package? I don't recollect ordering anything... Well, it seems that my post about the M&P mag goof triggered some sympathy, because the box contained a high capacity extra power mag spring and a +5 extended base pad. Thank you, Gun Parts Fairy! Range test to follow shortly!

Meanwhile, today is Fun Show Day! Let's sing the Fun Show Song!
Flintlocks and Flop-tops
And Number Three Russians
Black-powder Mausers
From jackbooted Prussians,
Shiny Smith PC's from limited runs
These are a few of my favorite guns.

Socketed bay'nets
On Zulu War rifles,
Engraved, iv'ried Lugers
That make quite an eyefull
Mosin tomato stakes sold by the ton
These are a few of my favorite guns.

Rusty top-breaks!
Smallbore Schuetzens!
And all of Browning's spawn
I just keep on browsing my favorite guns
Until all my money's gone.
Incidentally, my former employer, Coal Creek Armory, is under new ownership. Said new ownership has a Laser Shot system for training and whatnot. They let me play with it. It only took two people and a spatula to get me to turn loose of the laser Glock...

The only thing that could make the Laser Shot cooler would be strapping it to the head of a shark.


18 comments:

NAVIGATOR said...

My complements to the Julie Andrews of Ordnance Ill never see Sound of Music
quite the same way ever again

DanH said...

Is it wrong that I actually sing that song every time you post it?

Tam said...

DanH,

I was tickled that I actually once received complaints for going to a gun show without posting the Fun Show Song. :)

John said...

Ah..the ambiance of the gun-herd in full migratory feeding. Mit Musik, no less. And, yes, it sings very well, even if I do not and the Chessie gives me that "Humans!!!" look.

New local indoor gunrange just opened in our little burb of Maumee, OH -- Maumee Shooters in fact. Looks very well run and modern - soooo - I'm campaigning for tha tlaser shot thingy to be on their menu. Great training device. Lots of new female gun owners, and what a great 'no bang; no recoil" way to get the fundamentals of sight picture and trigger squeeze. An Goo' Luck at yer show, Myte.

og said...

I like that laser shot, I'm looking at the home theater versions and thinking, damn, that would make it worth buying a big blab slab.

Pakkinpoppa said...

I also love the "Fun Show Song".

I find myself humming it when I head off to such events...though I usually have forgotten past the first verse since the Indy ones rarely are the same time as ones here in Ohioland.

That Laser Shot system...well...wow.

Are you sure it was only 2 people with one spatula to make you turn it loose?

Al T. said...

"Are you sure it was only 2 people with one spatula to make you turn it loose?"

Probably involved some Slip 2000 EWL as well. Pics would be interesting, I'm just sayin.... :)

RabidAlien said...

Two people, one spatula, and a bacon-scented air-freshener.

Awesome FunSong! The Mrs. and I are heading over to the Fort Worth Gun Show this morning, I need to email that song to her!

And the LaserShot system...that would go a long way to justifying me having a TV in "my" room!

hooper said...

Does that laser shot feature a snickering dog whenever you miss?

global village idiot said...

Can you even get cartridges for that wog-whacker you put on layaway?

Something tells me a certain Russian-speaking shutterbug has a message on his voicemail to the effect of "ZOMG I'm about to get the coolest gun! When can we get together for a shoot - this thing has GOT to go into 'The Arms Room' A-bleepin-SAP!"

The magazine improved its usefulness but ruined its lines. Then again, at its age, a certain unsightliness a part of its appeal, like those dogs who are so ugly they're cute.

gvi

Anonymous said...

Huh. So the gun-parts fairy DOES exist. I'm gonna tell my dad to put his POS Taurus 1911 under his pillow tonight. Maybe he'll wake to...well...any 1911 but that one, really, since it's broken and all. (Seriously. How do you fuck up a 1911? You only have a clue stick A CENTURY LONG.)

Cormac said...

I miss having access to the military training simulators... during some downtime I had a bunch of Army MPs shooting at speedboats moving uphill and sinking cargo ships in a box canyon. Just because we could.
The AT-4 had a rubber ball that shot backwards to simulate backblast, the Ma Deuce went on hot runs if you shot too fast ( completely random)... fun times. :-)

Ed Foster said...

What an absolutely great site (Militaryrifles.com)! The period from mid 1860's through late 1880's has fascinated me for a long time, and absolutely consumes my buddy Ed, The Mad Lithuanian.

He has a cellar full of wierdities with all manner of magazine and secondary lever projections, most all of them in extremely unusual calibers. Most of which seem to be formable from 7.62x54 Russian or .348 Winchester.

I will pass the site info on to him, and hope his wife doesn't try to kill me when he finds the "need" for another 30 or so antiques.

Tam said...

Ed Foster,

"What an absolutely great site (Militaryrifles.com)!"

One of my absolute favorites.

Pakkinpoppa said...

I'm thinking the bolt rifle was deliberately placed out for you.

Ever ponder that your former employer may have a stack of said items just waiting to separate you from some green stamps?

Tam said...

Pakkinpoppa,

The Beaumont was at Premiere Arms, not CCA.

The guys at CCA will call me if they get something they think is up my alley. :)

Gewehr98 said...

Wouldn't the words "spatula" and "Glock" be redundant when used in the same sentence? ;-)

J.R.Shirley said...

I love the picture caption....friggin' laser beams...