Saturday, December 19, 2015

Fixing a G-lock...

So, I bought this used Glock in a local gun store. It's a Gen 2 Glock 17 with a serial number that dates it to 1992.
It looked like a Robar custom, or at least a gun that someone really wanted people to think was a Robar custom, so I plunked down the dough for it. Close examination showed that the finish was really NP3 and confirmation on Bookface from some folks who would know pretty much made up my mind that what I had here was indeed an early Robar Glock.

It was pretty schweet except for one thing: That goofy Siderlock trigger. I refuse to believe that anybody savvy enough to send their gun to Robar would be derpy enough to put this useless dingus in it. I have to think that the guy who had it Robar'ed then sold it and the new owner dropped in the useless trigger. 

The new owner also did a bit of a trigger job, polishing all the bearing surfaces of the cruciform so that...B-BAM!...the gun doubled on the regular. Good thing I was only loading two in the mag, or I might have put more rounds into the overhead target carrier trackway than I did...

Off to I went, ordering a completely new set of fire control parts in a fit of excess caution.
I'll probably wind up putting the original striker group and firing pin safety back in the gun, since they're all slick and NP3'ed and the trigger itself was the problem part.

The stuff I learned futzing around with the G37 has proved invaluable. This 17 now has the same ZEV connector/NY1 trigger spring combo that I installed in Project Whimsy. A box of Blazer Brass and a box of American Eagle later, all is well.

Let this be a reminder that if you buy someone else's gun with Bubba Dremel's action polishing job custom trigger work, function check it while unloaded and then load only two or three rounds in the mag for the first few mags to make sure everything's working as it should.