Monday, June 29, 2020

Busy Little Bee

"Making Catnip Honey"
Nikon D3, 105mm f/2.8 AF-D
1/160th @ f/6.3, ISO 400

My photography group's photo assignment for the week was "Macro, or close-up photographs of small scenes."

I'd never done macro photography of live bugs before...heck, I haven't done much macro photography at all...but when I saw the bees on the catnip plant out front, I put my new-to-me 105mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor lens on the D3 and went out to try my hand at it. I think I managed a couple decent shots for a first try, and it was fun!

The only hard part was that the dew point out there on the porch was 76 degrees* and I had to worry about the lens trying to fog.

I'd seen a lot of reviews talking about how sharp this lens was and, since they were discontinued way back in '06, they're available pretty reasonably.




*71-75 degrees is "Oppressive". 76+ is "Miserable". It was miserable.