Thursday, June 11, 2020

Not Exactly Sunshine and Buttercups

Yesterday before lunch I finished The Last President, which is the final book in the Daybreak trilogy.

I'll just make three spoiler-free comments:

  1. While the author is no bloodthirsty GRRM, he's not afraid to whack a viewpoint character to whom he's let you get good and attached.
  2. While there are a couple of straight-up good guys and one or two boo-hiss villainous characters, most everyone on every side is pretty three-dimensional. Sometimes you find yourself cheering for characters you'd started out viewing as mustache-twirling bad guys...and vice-versa.
  3. I did not see that ending coming. Heck, I didn't even really see the middle coming. This is no formulaic set-piece a la Stephen King's The Stand.

Also, social media groupthink scares me worse now than ever before.
.