Friday, August 28, 2020

Automotif CLXXXI...

What's this I spy? No, not the Alfa station wagon in platform shoes* although that's pretty hawt, too; I mean the car in front of it.

Matching trilby and W113 Benz is, paraphrasing Kevin Creighton, approaching maximum hipster. I couldn't tell if the Becker was tuned to WICR, but I wouldn't bet against it.

I would definitely roll around Broad Ripple in this Pagoda with the top down & listening to smooth jazz if it were mine, and I'm not even a huge jazz fan.

I think it was a 280SL. The front end is Euro, lacking the bumper override guards and sporting the one-piece headlamp/fog light assemblies that were verboten on U.S.-market automobiles back then. However, the rear-view mirror appears to be a later post-'68 black-bordered safety unit and the rear fenders have the FMVSS-compliant side marker lights.

Could be a gray market car, could be that a later owner just liked the cleaner Euro schnozz. I mean, my '94 Mustang has '96 taillights because they look better and I've had people notice that.


*The sight of that Alfa Stelvio, which is one of the few members of the "Compact Crossover SUV" genre that isn't as dull as a math class in mid-May, did make me wonder what the odds were of the hawt-looking Italian station-wagon-in-platform-shoes still being on the road in 2072.