Sunday, August 16, 2020

ZOOOOOOOOM

A couple times this past week I finished up my shooting at Marion County Fish & Game and tooled in to the downtown Roberts Camera store before heading home. This meant driving in to the city center via 16th Street, which runs right past the front gates of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Both times I caught the light right there at Gate 2, from where I could hear the cars howling past only a hundred yards or so to the north.

One of those was probably Conor Daly's USAF-sponsored #47 car, which is painted up as an homage to Glamorous Glennis...


I actually find myself desirous of a die-cast model for the first time in a while.

I'm still really torn on the new ginormous windscreen. Yeah, it's good for aero and yeah it protects drivers better from on-track debris...but so would a roof when you get right down to it. The screen also introduces problems of its own. I remember how Farmer Frank railed against those rear wheel sponsons and I can only imagine how he'd seethe about this.

It does look kinda cool with the right paint job, though, and I guess it's still technically open-topped, but from some angles it also looks like someone driving around with the top down and the side windows rolled up, which every convertible owner knows looks dorky af and is only done in emergencies.
.