Saturday, February 12, 2022

As reported...

...by Bobbi, there's a critter in the basement of some sort.

I was initially down there with a flashlight and my around-the-house gun stuck in my waistband. I hadn't been down there long before the voice of common sense pointed out that a .22 revolver stuffed full of Federal .22LR Punch, optimized for 14" or more of penetration in bad guys, might not be the best choice on thin-skinned varmints in a basement full of Bobbi's old radio gear, to say nothing of the water heater, furnace, and assorted gas and water lines.


So I rummaged around in a big box of assorted CCI specialty ammo I'd received from Farmer Frank years ago (and he must have gotten it for a writing project years before that, because this stuff was a couple CCI label changes old; 1990s, at least) and fished out some .22 CB rounds.

I loaded those into an old favorite...


Those CCI Small Game Bullets in the photo are great for small game hunting, but small game hunting is a different thing than doming a stationary critter from six feet away; CB caps are adequate for that task for anything I'm likely to find in the basement. The last time I did that it was a flying squirrel and a Super Colibri out of a High Standard Double Nine. (Which I felt horrible about, but flying squirrels are horrible pests once they find their way into a home, and this one was the lone holdout at Castle Frostbite, the rest of the troupe having been locked out of the house when their ingress/egress was discovered and blocked.)

.