Tuesday, February 22, 2022

"Low" versus "No"

When someone refers to "low light", it doesn't necessarily mean "In the middle of the night, locked inside the pitch dark ninja closet." During the course of a normal day, people encounter all different kinds of lighting conditions, indoors and out.

There's a reason I carry a flashlight everywhere I go, and it amazes me that people don't. Your neolithic ancestors would have considered it next thing to magic.


While I used to carry the waved Spyderco Endura, the larger Saber Red Mk.6 spicy treats dispenser, and the 2-cell Surefire, I've downsized to the Delica, Pom OC spray, and single-cell Surefire. It may only use a single CR123, but it still puts out 500 lumens when you mash the button, and a useful 5 lumen task light beam when you lightly press it.

Pepper spray and guns are things you have for really bad emergencies, but I find myself using that knife and flashlight multiple times every day, even though I've never been in hand-to-hand combat while locked in the ninja closet.

.