Friday, June 23, 2023

Pocket Popper Days

I remember my Beretta pocket popper days. Here's a photo from late 2001...


I carried a Beretta 950BS Jetfire in the flap pocket on the front of my leather bomber jacket back when I used to commute on motorcycles. Looking back, it was probably largely a "ballistic rabbit's foot", since I carried it hammer-down, necessitating thumb-cocking on the draw. That's always an iffy proposition when in a hurry, especially with such a tiny gun.

Further, .25ACP is pretty much the only handgun cartridge that deserves all the bad press it gets. There isn't any really "good" load in the chambering, just some that are less bad than others. If you gotta carry a deuce-five, load it with ball.

I replaced it with a Beretta 3032 Tomcat, one of the early skinny-slide models. I sometimes get nostalgic for the Tomcat, but if I were to get another one, it would definitely be a newer stainless "Inox" model with the chonkier slide.

If you want a real otaku-like deep dive on the history of the Tomcat, there's one at this link.

I still have that little CRKT K.I.S.S., and it still has the scuffs on the pocket clip from that motorcycle wreck on Peachtree, those twenty-three summers ago.


(I still have that Kershaw Chive, too, but it lacks the emotional significance that the scars give the CRKT. Plus I got to meet Ed Halligan at BLADE Show back in '02 and show him the K.I.S.S. and the scuffs on the clip.)

.