Monday, April 17, 2006

Boomsticks: Buy A Gun Day score.

No Mannlicher-Schoenauers at the gun show this weekend. In fact, there was darn little in the way of old milsurps at all. It was the sorriest Holloway show I've yet seen, with only twenty cars in the parking lot when I showed up at 1:45 Sunday afternoon, and (according to sources) only 160 tables. Rumor has it that his break-even number of tables is nearly twice that number.

That said, I had fun walking around and talking to old friends and acquaintances. Bob the Gunsmith came with me (he'd never actually been to a show here in K-town,) and seemed to enjoy himself. I was glad he was along for the ride, because he was able to give a quick professional look-over of my Buy A Gun Day purchase:


It's a Smith & Wesson .32 Double Action 3rd Model, circa 1883, which makes my newest Smith also my oldest Smith. The picture doesn't do it justice, as it still has a fair amount of original nickel on it. Lockup is good, and timing is only very slightly lazy. I'm tickled pink. It's just the cutest, tiniest little gun (that's a 3.5" barrel.)

Also, I scored a 1918-production Oberndorf-made bayonet for my Gew.98, so I'm all-in-all pretty happy with the way BAG Day '06 turned out for me. :)

9 comments:

Gewehr98 said...

Looking at a ShtLE Mk. V Trials rifle and a '94 Swede carbine today, sort of a belated Buy A Gun day selection. Check your AOL mail...

phlegmfatale said...

Wow - that's cute as a button!

phlegmfatale said...

OH, I was listening to a song today and I thought of you - wondered if you'd heard it. Nouvelle Vague is a collection of post-punk stuff done with female singers and some of it with a bossa-nova beat. Their version of the Cure's THe Forest is sublime, and Joy Division's Love will Tear Us Apart manages to sound almost bouncy. But for you, my dear, the Clash's The Guns of Brixton is hella cool. Check it out - you'll love it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007YMVOW/sr=8-1/qid=1145315997/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-6189454-1823249?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Anonymous said...

Seeing your new revolver reminds of a question that came up in a discussion recently. Can a revolver chambered for .32 H&R magnum also shoot the .32 Smith & Wesson cartridge safely?

thanks in advance

Phil Stanhope

Goldwater's Ghost said...

That show promoter needs to looks at his calendar a bit closer-most gun folks are conservative and family oriented. Which means that a show Easter weekend probably isn't the best idea.

Xavier said...

Geeze Tam! Did you succumb to topbreak fever too?

Anonymous said...

Forget the calendar. Holloway needs to look at his business practices a bit closer. Every dealer in town has a Holloway story, and most of them start with "you won't believe what he did."

Tam said...

gew98: Ack! Two of my dream rifles! Lucky you.

Phlegmmy: I thank you, and Amazon thanks you. :)

Phil: Yes, .32 S&W will shoot just fine in a .32 H&R Mag. Be sure to scrub any rings from the chambers after shooting the littler cartridge before going back to magnums.

Heartless Libertarian: Holiday weekend shows usually have fairly good attendence. Folks are off work and in a "vacation-y" mood.

Xavier: I'm getting it worse. It started with my .38 Safety Hammerless. Now I want a top-break single action...

buzz_: Yeah, Holloway is a real deadeye when it comes to shooting at his own foot. ;)

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I saw a good mail-order deal on .32 S&W that I wanted to take advantage of for practice ammo.

Phil Stanhope