Sunday, May 07, 2006

Blog Stuff: Safari on the cheap.

I'm getting a barrel for my Encore chambered in .405 Winchester so I can have lion-hunting fantasies. Not, of course, that I will ever have the money or leisure time to go on safari for the King of the Beasts, but one can daydream. Or maybe organize a cheap substitute here in town...

"Dear Diary: Day three of the safari. After a quick breakfast of Tabasco Slim Jims and Diet Mountain Dew my native guide, Fred, has maneuvered me into an excellent position for the culmination of my trip, the confrontation with Simba. Careful not to spook the skittish herds of preschoolers, which would alert the lion to my presence, I ease around the concession stand. The cloying stench of cotton candy fills my nostrils..."


Like I said, one can daydream... :)

9 comments:

Kevin said...

I'm glad you're only entertaining fantasies of hunting lion with a single-shot.

I'm not sure I'd want anything less than a 3-round bolt-action.

The only single-shot caliber I'd be willing to use on a big cat is an RPG.

Rough on the pelt, though.

phlegmfatale said...

"cloying stench of cotton candy"

yet another golden chestnut. Much mirth.

Paul said...

I think if I were hunting lion with a single shot, I'd want a guy with a FAL right behind me...

Jeffro said...

Don't forget to take something in a bit lighter caliber to defend yourself from the poo throwing monkeys.

Paul said...

Isn't that why they made the .223?

*ducks*

BobG said...

The poo would probably be more deadly than the 223...

aughtSix said...

I don't know if Ebola can be spread by poo or not, but, if so, Ebola poo would be much, much worse.

Anonymous said...

Are you married?

Anonymous said...

For lions, I would consider a modern pressure .45/70 in my Winchester.