Thursday, May 11, 2006

"What gun for a woman?"

I cannot begin to tell you how much this question, which constantly pops up both at work and on internet gun boards, completely grinds me to a halt. (At least they don't ask "What's a good chick gun?" or "What gun do you think a broad could handle?")

At work, I have to be nice and helpful because it's my job and all, and so I display the kind of tolerance with the question that makes Job look like a quitter. On line, however, my patience wore thinner than Kate Moss at least four years ago. My answers to the question "What gun for a woman?" have drifted from the trying-to-be-helpful "What will she be using it for? Which does she like?" to the flippant "I like a snubnose .44 Magnum today," to the dripping-with-sarcasm "You'll want something bigger than a .30-30; we charge when we're wounded."

My 'net friend Kathy is irked even more than I am (if such is possible) by the same question, and has finally written the answer it deserves, right here. (...and gawd don't I wish I'd written it first. Good stuff!)

The advice comes as part of her shiny new web presence at The Cornered Cat, which you need to go scope out, right now. I've been enjoying her posts on the boards for years; I can guar-on-tee you'll like her stuff, too.

(H/T to LawDog.)

9 comments:

Kevin said...

"You'll want something bigger than a .30-30; we charge when we're wounded."

Damn, that's funny!

phlegmfatale said...

That was delightful. Thanks for the link.

BobG said...

I get riled when people ask what type of gun is right for a woman; I always answer "Which woman?" Everyone is different, both men and women, and the only way to find which is best is for them to try out some guns and see which is best for that particular person. Stereotypes are not a good way to decide on something which is this important and personal.
Just my opinion.

Anonymous said...

I didn't get the sarcasm at cornered cat.

I thought she had a good understanding of what makes a good man's gun.

I agree with her recommendations.

;-)

Anonymous said...

Tam ~

You say the nicest things! :)

Kathy

Mauser*Girl said...

:) Great articles on that site. *lol*

Anonymous said...

What gun for a man? I'd say use a .45 on the larger ones, and a 9mm on the smaller examples. They aren't _that_ tough.

Billll

Cowboy Blob said...

A gun for a woman? Good trade! :)

Anonymous said...

By the way, Tam, I finally got around to doing the "Gun for a Woman" article. If you've got any feedback I'd like to hear it.

pax