Sunday, June 22, 2008

More beer blogging...

In addition to the Loose Cannon, I also picked up some Small Batch Double IPA from Breckenridge Brewery. The fact that Breckenridge's logo bears no small resemblance to that of Team Banzai in no way influenced my purchasing decision.

Nicely hoppy, although with a slightly sweeter, maltier start than I prefer. The hops weren't overwhelmingly citrusy, and I like that.

It packs a 9.2%ABV wallop, so a little goes a long way. This also explains why it was hard to find back in Tennessee. TN state alcohol laws say that anything over... I think it's 6.5%... must be sold in liquor stores, and liquor stores can only sell stuff that's over 6.5%. Since big beers are such a small portion of their sales, liquor distributors in the Volunteer State don't pay them much attention. If you can find a booze-a-rama in TN that carries even Stone, Rogue, and Dogfish Head, you're doing good. The staggering variety of beers here has been just paradise so far.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

One benefit of living in the Great Northwest (well, from my perspective there are many) is the ready availability of good beers. There are plenty of brew pubs, craft and micro breweries, including some thst sell only draft so you must locate a pub or restaurant that carries them.

Anonymous said...

http://www.brewersofindianaguild.com/festival.html

In Broad Ripple no less. That's all I have to say.

Matt G said...

I got Stone IPA, but no Ruination, here. But Dogfish Head abounds, and that's a Good Thing.

We're seeing quite a few mediocre breweries (some out of Louisiana, from the Abita bunch of brands) trying to throw their hats into the ring of IPAs.

You have to be careful, when spending your hard-earned money on India Pale Ales.

TheAxe said...

Another excellent IPA made in Md is the Wild Goose IPA :)

Word Ver: gprwrlq

Anonymous said...

Lots of great beer selection in Vegas, I just have to make sure that I take my own whenever I go up to UT. I think they can only sell something like 4%ABV!

NV is great. The most liberal liquor laws in the country. I could buy a bottle of absinthe any time I want to , election day & sundays included.

Anonymous said...

Steady on the beer, we don't want you spoiling that lovely slim mind we all come here to see!

Rustmeister said...

That reminds me, I have to post on all the brews I picked up in Loisville.