Friday, April 27, 2012

Status update...

Impolitely glancing over shoulders at the airport yesterday, I gleaned that all the cool kids nowadays will snap a picture for a check-in status update of "zomg totally at the airport" in 140 characters or less, while only a complete nerd would actually sit down, break out a keyboard and hash out "1) Here we are at Reagan National, spending a two-hour layover in the midst of the seething mob of aberrant humanity that is Concourse B..." Complete sentences: a dying art.

I will say that, as far as any airport could be said to be "nice", Manchester airport is. I was greeted by Marko & Munchkins, bribed the kids with a dinosaur book and plush baby seal that wags its tail (tiny plush tee ball bat not included) because I know how to buy friends, and then we boarded the minivan and drove past the end of my cell phone coverage and off the edge of the map to Castle Frostbite.

I almost don't have the heart to click on CNN.com and find out what's happening out there that needs mocking, but that's my job, so...

9 comments:

libertyman said...

Welcome to NH Tam!

Anonymous said...

(tiny plush tee ball bat not included)

I almost spit out a mouthful of cereal.

Chris

Anonymous said...

Of course, if it is liberals that need mocking, then CNN won't tell you. Hope you have another source.

TXGunGeek said...

Complete sentences are a dieing art indeed. I see tech papers from students that read like a series of tweets.

Ah, Manchester Airport, I remember when you walked out the left door for gates 1 & 2 and out the right door for gates 3 & 4 so you could walk out to the truck mounted stairs at the door of the airplane.

There is a road that loops around the east then north side of the airport that has a creak beside ti that every spring you could see the trees that the beavers had cut down at snow level. Kinda cool to see that.

Dwight Brown said...

If I had any artistic talent at all, I'd set up an Etsy account and start making matched plush baby seal/plush tee ball bat sets.

mikee said...

Manchester Airport used to close pretty regularly on Friday afternoons in the summer when (suposedly) local thunderstorms would knock out some radar in the Boston regional area.

I always suspected it was just lazy union workers starting their weekends early.

NotClauswitz said...

Have fun on Vaca shootin' fun stuff.

HerrBGone said...

Welcome to this end of the univers from a behind enimy lines one state (commonwealth, actually) south!

Many moons ago I tought myself to sail on Lake Cryogenica in a leaky little woden pram that needed as much attention to the water line inside the boat as to the direction of the wind. Fun times, indeed!

Enjoy your visit!

Unknown said...

Complete sentences: as a professional academic, I approve wholeheartedly.

I was turned on to your blog by a friend of Oleg Volk. I must say that now I'm hooked: this is highly entertaining.