Thursday, December 31, 2020

Zoom Zoom

So, 'way back in early 1995, I traded a 1979 Datsun 280ZX 2+2 and a thousand bucks for a Guards Red 1987 Porsche 924S. I thought this seemed like a really sweet deal...until I noticed a funny clunking noise from the Porsche's gearbox after a couple days.

See, the clutch on the 924S/944 used elastomer rather than springs to damp the clutch, and they tended to disintegrate the rubber over time. My shiny new Porsche needed a clutch replacement. And because the 924/944 family have a rear-mounted transaxle, this is a more complicated evolution than normal.

I ended up taking the car to a local shop, JMC Racing, that did import street car repairs as a sideline to fund their main work in open-wheel racing.

When I went to go pick the car up, they asked if I wanted to test drive it first. I allowed as how I wasn't qualified to judge if the repair was any good or not, so John McCracken jumped in the driver's seat and gave me a drive around the nighttime back roads of Forsyth County that looked something like this:


I had no idea a 924S could haul ass like that...
.