Saturday, January 01, 2022

Feral

I was out walking the other day and ran across this handsome fella...


One of the neighborhood ferals (well, quasi-ferals), chillin' on a pile of lumber in a neighbor's back yard near one of the entrances to the Monon Trail. He didn't seem terribly skittish, but I didn't want to spook him from his resting place, so I got about as close as felt comfortable and let the 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II lens on the Nikon D2X do the rest of the work.

Yesterday I went for a walk with Bobbi and followed the same route. In hopes of spotting him again, I had longer glass: Zuiko 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 on an Olympus E-600. The APS-C sensor in the Nikon had an effective focal length multiplier of 1.5, giving the 18-200 roughly the same field of view as a 300mm lens. The Olympus's Four Thirds sensor has a 2X multiplier, meaning the equivalent of 400mm of reach in a reasonably compact lens.

I was ready to take photos of a skittish cat from quite some distance if necessary...


I had forgotten to factor Bobbi's cat magnetism into my plans. The little fella saw her and sauntered right on over.

.