Sunday, June 05, 2022

This Calls for Backup

I might have mentioned that earlier this year a friend gifted me with a Nikon D7100 she wasn't using. Despite being a couple generations old, it's still a very competent 24MP crop-sensor DSLR. In fact, I'd been using an even-older D7000 pretty heavily, so I took the 7000 to Roberts and swapped it for store credit and started using the 7100.

Anyway, this gave me the idea to set up a "grab-and-go" bag for my APS-C (or "DX" in Nikon-speak) gear similar to the one I have for the Nikon FX full-frame cameras.

I started with an F-Stop Gear Brooklyn sling bag, because they look cool and are being blown out on clearance as discontinued gear.


It has a sleeve pocket big enough for an iPad with a keyboard cover. The main compartment comes with three padded dividers, and I've used them to split it into two smaller compartments and two larger ones.

The smaller ones I have holding a Speedlight external flash and the excellent compact 35mm f/1.8 DX prime, Nikon's crop sensor "Nifty Fifty" equivalent. One of the larger ones will hold a longer zoom, probably a 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR

The remaining large compartment will hold a backup body... but which one? Having finished my project with the D3000 and the D5000, those got turned into store credit at Roberts months ago. The only two DX bodies I have other than the D7100 are an old D200 and a D2X. Both are pretty hefty bricks, and both are too old to operate the electronically-controlled diaphragm on the 16-80mm f/2.8-4E that is my go-to walking around lens for DX cameras.

Now, "backup body" has two connotations in my life. What I usually use it for is to hold a second lens to minimize switching lenses if I'm shooting at the zoo or a class or whatever.

The other use, though, is to be ready to do all the shooting if the main camera craps out for some reason. Kinda hard to do that if it can't use all the lenses in the bag.

I don't want to spend a ton of money on a spare camera, so I'm probably just going to grab the oldest thing I come across that will run an "E" lens; a D300 or D5100...unless I stumble across a slammin' deal on a D300S.

.