Monday, June 06, 2022

End of M

Rumors of Canon discontinuing the EF-M line of crop sensor mirrorless cameras have been swirling for a couple years now.


While I liked my M6 body just fine, I eventually grew frustrated with the lack of good lenses in the format. Sure, I had an adaptor for my EF glass, but sticking that big glass on the bitty mirrorless body sort of defeated the purpose of the exercise in the first place. Back in April I wound up packing up all my EF-M stuff and dropping it off at Roberts, swapping it for a Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8 DX lens and some store credit.

Turns out that Canon was on the same page as I was, since a couple weeks after I divested myself of the EOS M and EOS M6, Canon announced the crop-sensor R7 and R10, along with dedicated APS-C lenses for the RF mount. 

This pretty much effectively puts paid to the EF-M system, which has been limping for years with only some tepid model upgrades and no new lenses since 2018.

.