Tuesday, April 04, 2023

"Tubular Repeating Claymore" or nah?

What's the best buckshot loading for home defense?

I used to favor one that "gave a bit of spread", but have since changed my mind and am an advocate of Federal FliteControl, specifically the LE133 00 load, which basically acts like a .72 caliber Glaser Safety Slug at any realistic inside-the-home distances. 


In the course of a conversation with Tom Givens, all-around smart dude Greg Ellifritz came around to the same viewpoint.
Because of the shorter ranges encountered in a home defense scenario, I’ve historically believed that a wider pattern spread would be beneficial because of the greater chance of hitting a moving target. I don’t need a 40-yard capability in a shotgun when the longest shot I can physically take in my house is a measured 12 yards. Why not open the pattern size up a little bit to increase the odds of getting a hit?

Tom convinced me that this thinking was erroneous. He was, of course, correct. Let’s talk about why a tighter pattern is better, even for short range home defense.

Go read the whole thing and see what you think.