Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Boomsticks: No Longer AR-less...

A couple of months ago I parted company with my house gun, a Rock River/CavArms M4gery, in order to shake loose the cash to snatch up a '56-vintage S&W Model of 1955 Target .45. I fully intended to snag another AR ASAP, and so I saved all my mags, and stripped it of its GG&G Sling Thing and SureFire weaponlight. Time dragged on, and I kept finding important things to do with my money, like making the empty, hurtie feeling in my tummy go away, keeping a roof over my head, and buying cool boots and flashlights; basically, using it on things that were not replacement AR-15's.

The lack of a house gun gnawed at me until last week, when I finally cut a co-worker a check for an old Essential Arms lower, complete with Vltor collapsable stock and Hogue grip. Next, I swapped a 2.5" 686 to another co-worker in exchange for a DPMS flat top M4 upper he had lying around. Add a flip-up Yankee Hill rear sight, insert a 30-rd mag of 75gr Hornady TAP, prop it in the corner, and suddenly the old homestead didn't feel so empty anymore.

Incidentally, some folks may be wondering at my choice of a house gun. Why did I replace my shotgun with a carbine? And, if so, why an AR-type carbine? The answers to these questions soon, Gentle Reader.

5 comments:

Tam said...

I've got the gun mostly screwed together. I promise some pictures after I get the optics (haven't decided between Aimpoint and Eotech) and the tac sling (undecided between three-point and single point) on board.

Anonymous said...

Eotech wins handsdown v. the aimpoint. It can function when glass is broken (aimpoint can't), cheaper, and comes with a mount. Buy your pricey aimpoint then spend another $100 on a decent mount.

-SayUncle

Anonymous said...

One more advantage of the Eotech is the reticle allows for SWAG range finding. the circle is roughly the height of a man at 100 yards.

-SayUncle

Anonymous said...

One more, and I'm done:

No light signature from the EOTech and no need to buy a kill flash. As you were.

-SayUncle

Tam said...

I've used both fairly extensively, and my last house gun had a HoloSight on it (mostly for reasons of economy), but I've decided not to scrimp on this AR build.

The bias in the training community seems to edge in favor of the Aimpoint due to reasons of battery life and general ruggedness.

My heart says the Eotech is cooler, with its Donut O' Death reticle (plus, Aimpoint never sent me any happenin' tee shirts), but my head has a hard time disagreeing with Pat Rogers...