Sunday, November 27, 2005

Blog Stuff: About the "From The Vault" posts.

Some of you may have noticed that I'm a little into old military rifles. I find them fascinating both for their engineering, as well as for how they fit into history, how the design of one influenced the design of others, and how they helped shape the turbulent years of the 19th and 20th Centuries.

I've been collecting them for a while, now, and have managed to turn up a lot of interesting information in my research. What I've always wanted was a good, slick General Overview book; something like Scarlata's Collecting Classic Bolt Action Military Rifles, but spanning the gamut from the first cartridge breechloaders to the last semi-auto selfloaders (ie the arms available to a non-NFA collector.)

So, from time to time I'll be using examples from my own collection (hopefully I'll be able to strongarm Oleg Volk into photographing more of them) to write about and, if I think my writing is un-sucky enough, maybe I can compile it, expand on it, and write the book I'm looking for myself, rather than waiting for someone else to do so.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ale and coffee await you at my new cave, and a new seamless sweep awaits your rifles. Show up!