Thursday, November 24, 2005

Books: Survival 101.

What do you get when you take neurophysiology, Zen Buddhism, physics, Clausewitz, chaos theory, the Gospels, the woodscraft of indigeneous peoples, Marcus Aurelius, astronaut training, WWII anecdotes, the Tao Te Ching, complexity theory, Jack London, survival school, Plato, and dozens of compelling stories and put them under one cover?

You get Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why, by Laurence Gonzales, that's what you get. This may be the single most amazing book I've read in the last several years, and it's well worth tracking down a copy. I can't recommend it highly enough.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just ordered that book from Amazon. Along with...
- "Popski's Private Army" by Vladimir Peniakoff (I was so surprised that it's available again that I just HAD to get it)
- "Tides of War" by Steven Pressfield (Gates of Fire were good enough to give him another try)
- "Between a Rock and a Hard Place" by Aron Ralston (I'm already reading it and needed a gift for a friend)

T.Stahl

Anonymous said...

I am not an avid reader. I finish four or five books every year. On your recommendation I picked up a copy of the book and read it in three days. I've never done that before. It's the best thing I've read in a very long time. Thank you for that.