Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Boomsticks: You know you're a gun geek when...

So, like any 1911 nut with a few project guns under her belt, I've managed to accumulate an impressive array of various bits and pieces removed from guns I've customized over the years. I finally managed to come up with a little plastic box (sorta like a tackle box, with little compartments and all) in which to store the excess bits, as well as having a larger space for spare grip panels, my bushing wrench, and my handy-dandy Wilson multi-tool gizmo.

Poking through the parts, it occured to me that, what with all the thumb safeties, triggers, sears, disconnectors and other impedimentia, I have everything I need to make a dedicated frame for my Ciener .22 slide, except the actual frame itself. Now the only decision I need to make is whether to buy one of the steel frames we have at work, or go ahead and order an alloy frame on which to park the alloy upper.

Decisions, decisions...

1 comment:

Dr. StrangeGun said...

Dedicated .22? I'd go alloy. The only thing steel would give you is weight for stability, everything else goes to alloy, including the galling factor.

Plus, it'd be more rust resistant, but then I think you clean your .22's a bit more than I do...

Wouldn't alloy also be easier to fit or modify?