Wednesday, January 17, 2007

At the risk of sounding like a woefully behind-the-times geek...

Despite being a fan of computer games since blowing up ASCII Klingons on an Apple II in the Decade of Disco, I somehow missed out on the whole Grand Theft Auto thing. Towards the tail end of a grueling day at work today, Dr. Strangegun mentioned how he unwinds after a stressful day by playing in the streets of GTA: San Andreas. Then he showed me a link to this video.

Joyous hallelujahs! A video game that not only has flamethrowers, but where you can apparently take out your frustrations on passersby with a Louisville slugger! And old enough that it will run on my PC with the video settings cranked to the max! (VFTP Command Central was bought some three years ago by walking into a Best Buy and asking "What's the baddest, most expensive PC you have? Great, okay. Now, what's the baddest video card on the market? Good. Now, what's the ultimate sound setup?" It may be a little old, but it'll still shove a pixel around fast enough to make it need its little pixel airsick bag...)

Blogging may be slack for a bit, because I just placed an order with Amazon...

6 comments:

Mulliga said...

Don't forget Vice City, either. Nothing like mowing down a crowd of pedestrians while Mister Mister's "Broken Wings" is playing in the background.

I enjoy the GTA games, but a lot of the imitators coming out now are actually improving on the formula (Xbox 360's "Saint's Row," for example).

BobG said...

Excellent video, and proof that some people have too much spare time :)

Matt G said...

"I park my car in handicap spaces
While handicapped people make handicap faces...
"

Girl, I feel a blog comin' on.

Jeff the Baptist said...

Uh I could only take the 80s music in Vice City for so long. That and it's set in Florida so the map is completely flat. But San Andreas. Holy Crap. Great game. Gonna have to play me some of that tonight.

Anonymous said...

Funny thing, I just tried a GTA game for the first time tonight. I was visiting a friend and tried "Vice City" on the PS2. It was like stepping into an episode of "Miami Vice."

Fletch said...

Nethack. It's all about Nethack...