Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Books: Lurving this Terry Pratchett...

So, let's see... So far we've read Monstrous Regiment, Guards! Guards!, Going Postal, Small Gods, Night Watch, Jingo, Men at Arms, The Fifth Elephant, Thud!, Feet of Clay, Reaper Man, The Truth, and are working on Soul Music.

I must say that, though they're all fun reads, he really hits his stride stylistically about the time of Night Watch or Thud!.

Oh, and to those of you who let me go sit on the porch with a beer to settle in and read the last seventy-odd pages of Reaper Man next to the fire without warning me to bring a box of Kleenex, you suck. Running across something that deep and poignant in the middle of an otherwise normal Terry Pratchett read is like finding the ending of Old Yeller in the middle of a screening of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

6 comments:

phlegmfatale said...

Pratchett is a writer of astonishing breadth. Since I found him, I can't stop reading him- trying to snarf it all up in one straight jag.

GeorgeH said...

I have almost all his books, and love them.

I hate it, but he announced last week that he is suffering early onset Alzheimers, so we may not see many more adventures.

He's the great fabulist of our generation.

Anonymous said...

Since you are now acquainted with Terry Pratchett, it's time that you met blogger Misty Hannan. English werewolf, photographer, and co-author with Mr. Pratchett of "Nanny Ogg's Cookbook".

Tam, Misty. Misty, Tam.

Y'all play nice or give me time to sell tickets.

trainer said...

Just finished Making Money.

Difficult to say which I liked the best...probably Guards, Guards, Night Watch, or Monstrous Regiment.

Hunter said...

Debi and I have been going on the Watch series, and I started the Tiffany Aching run with Wee Free Men.
Having also read Postal, Feet of Clay, Men at Arms, Guards, Regiment, I admit that I just keep laughing out loud, or snickering, all day long when I recreate any of the scenes starring any Nac Mac Feegle. I have never met a more fully realized group of characters.
Crivens, indeed.

Anonymous said...

There are more of those deep, human moments in the novels involving the witches- in the Pratchettverse, witchcraft is minimally about magic and all about humanity.

Also, you really, really need Hogfather. It's MUCH better than Soul Music.