Saturday, March 15, 2008

Today In History: The Ides of March.

On this date in 44BC, the Roman Senate expressed its displeasure with Julius Caesar by leaving him lying on the floor with more holes than the U.S. tax code.

Other famous types who checked out on this date include Odoacer, the first Germanic king of post-Roman Italy (who was, perhaps not coincidentally, shivved to death by supposed allies on the Ides), and H.P. Lovecraft, who had his soul devoured by the Outer Gods on this date in 1937.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was in 44 BC, not AD!

Tam said...

Duh. *facepalm*

I knew that, too.

Tam said...

PS: Thanks for the catch! I'd have hated to have looked stupid all day... :o

Anonymous said...

Yeah, this wat no one will ever know.

Anonymous said...

Not stupid: ignorant. Ignorance is a correctible condition. Stupidity is a capital crime -- albeit sometimes with a deferred execution of sentence.

M

Anonymous said...

On the other hand, it's now politically incorrect to use BC and AD. You can use the same dates but you have to use "Before Common Era" (BCE) and "Common Era" (CE).

This I refuse to do!

Anonymous said...

You say "devoured by the Outer Gods" but I say "emigrated to Ulthar."

Tam said...

"This I refuse to do!"

Hey, I'm an atheist.

But I'm also reactionary enough that I refuse to stop using BC and AD.

Anonymous said...

I hate to say it, but whenever I read or hear anything about Julius the Caesar Man nowdays all I can think of for a few moments is Python and "Et tu, Brute?" done with signal lamps.

Is that wrong?