Friday, January 30, 2009

I couldn't resist this.

Besides, memes are what I can do instead of content...

From JPG, via Xavier, comes the Browning meme: On the list of JMB designs, embolden or put a + (plus sign) by those you currently own. Put an asterisk (*) next to those you HAVE HAD but don’t currently.

Single Shot Rifles:
Winchester 1885

Bolt-action Rifles:
Winchester 1900

Lever-action Rifles:
Winchester 1886
Winchester 1892
*Winchester 1894
Winchester 1895

Slide-action Rifles:
Winchester 1890

Recoil-operated Semi-automatic Rifles:
Remington Model 8 and 81

Blowback-operated Semi-automatic Rifles:
Browning .22 Semiauto

Double-barrel Shotguns:
Browning Superposed

Lever-action Shotguns:
Winchester 1887

Slide-action Shotguns:
*Winchester 1897 (Mine was actually the Norinco clone.)
Remington Model 17 (later the Ithaca 37)
Stevens 520

Recoil-operated Semi-automatic Shotguns:
Browning Auto 5 / +Remington Model 11

Blowback-operated Semi-automatic Pistols:
FN M1900
+Colt 1903/1908 Pocket Hammerless (2x Type I 1903s)
FN 1906 Vest Pocket/+Colt 1908 Vest Pocket
FN 1910
Colt Woodsman

Recoil-operated Semi-automatic Pistols
+Colt 1902
Colt 1903 Pocket Hammer
+U.S. M1911
FN G.P. 35

Gas-operated Machine Guns:
Colt M1895
U.S. M1918 BAR

Recoil-Operated Machine Guns:
U.S. M1917/M1919
U.S. M2 Heavy Machine Gun


Automatic Machine Cannon:
Colt-Browning 37mm


The obvious question next is "Which ones do you want the most?" I'm not much of a wingshooter and, while I like a good Western as much as the next kid, nor either am I a C.A.S. participant. This doesn't mean I'd kick a Superposed or a '92 out of the gun safe, but I don't get sweaty-palmed with desire over them, either. I've gotten to the point where I realize I just can't have every firearm ever made, and so my gun lust has gotten a lot less diffuse over time.

Any of the pistols would be cool, but I'll commit the heresy of saying that me and the Woodsman have never bonded. From a practical standpoint, I like a Ruger 22/45 or a .22 conversion kit on a 1911, but for recreational .22 handgun plinking, give me a Kit Gun or a K-22 any day of the week. I've never really had a thing for High Powers, either. Like CZ-75's, I know in my head that they're awesome, but they've never clicked with my heart.

I desperately want a 1903 Pocket Hammer to go with my 1902 Military Model. I know where there's a shooter for sale at a reasonable price, but it's a matter of mustering the shekels... Of the pistols, an FN 1900 or 1910 would be neat, because I have a thing for homely little European pocket guns and JMB designs, and they score on both counts.

Among the shotguns, the only one that really interests me enough to actually buy (other than the Model 11 Riot Gun I already have) would be a military '97.

Of his rifle designs, I've always gotten weepy every time I see an 1895 in .405 Winchester; they make my heart go pitter-pat. And a Russian military contract 1895 in 7.62x54R with wood out to the muzzle would be the berries, if ever I could find one. While I've never had a burning desire to own any particular '92 or '94, the 1886 makes me want to do something with my life that would let me afford one, like get elected to Congress for the sweet bribes and kickbacks or, if my conscience wouldn't handle that, smuggle coke.

The one JMB affection I have that I can't explain is the Remington Model 8. I will own one of those someday, although it doesn't at all fit with my collection and is one of the few Browning designs that has really been obsoleted. But it is just so cool...

18 comments:

Shermlock Shomes said...

I've got a Remington Model 81 (effectively a Model 8) in .35 Remington that I use for deer hunting up in Michigan. It was manufactured in 1940, same year as the Model 11 shotgun I have. The rifle is a hoot to shoot!

And BTW, I think Kalashnikov ripped off the design of his safety on the AK-47 from the Model 8/81. See:

http://tinyurl.com/cfy7r6

Tam said...

Me, too.

We had an 8 in .35 hanging on the wall at the shop for a while for three-something. One of my big regrets is not buying it...

Anonymous said...

Mr. Kalashnikov borrowed more than the safety. Consider. First he turns an M-1 over, so that the gas system is on the top, then he hangs a StG44 magazine in the hole created, and, for a grand final, puts the entire thing into a ripoff Remington Model 8 lookalike reciever with safety.

Why? The Politboro hunted with Model 8's, in .30 Rem. caliber.

Sound firearms design, good politics, and tolerances big enough to allow hopeless drunks to manufacture them on 50 year old machinery. Неплохо!

Anonymous said...

Quality Model 92, either clone or modern 'official name' -- in .357 Mag.

As well, the little Marlin peestol carabines in .357 are equally charming, and handy, and dee-liver that good .357 whop, times ten.

Ghost ring and bead, or big post with white stripe.

You will find JMB affection, never fear.

J t R

Tam said...

I've had 16" Marlin and Winnie carbines in .44 Mag, .45 Colt, and thutty-thutty. They're cool and all, but I just don't feel the love. I'd use one as a housegun if I lived in a non-permissive area, though. With XS sights and/or a dot.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

I shockingly have a similar number of models that Tam has. Partly because of Tam (she has certainly influenced my choice in a 1911, and 1903/08 pocket hammerless) and parlt from serendipity (the gun dealer had a Remington Model 11 right at the time I 'needed' a 12 gauge.) Kim Du Toit (and JMB pbuh) is why I gravitated toward a 1894C. Funny world.

Rio Arriba said...

I had a '95 carbine in .30-'06. Hardest kicking goddamn gun I ever owned. Happily swapped it for a mint '92 SRC in .44-40 plus a bucketload of lagniappe. Also still have a '92 rifle in .25-20 that has accounted for beaucoups de marmots. '94s. Superposed. HP. 1911s. Once had a mentor with a barn full of .30 and .50 BMGs but that was back in the day.

The man was just a wee bit talented.

Ken O said...

Tam, can you skewer this with that razor wit. Thanks.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6239518.html

Anonymous said...

Sadly I own but one real Browning. A sweet little belgian
.22 semi-automatic rifle that I picked up at Siddens' in Buckhart, IL.

I'd wanted one since I was a kid when our family toured the Nauvoo site and I picked up a pile of literature on JMB which interestingly included the current Browning catalog. When I saw it on the rack and tried it out, I bought it on the spot. It's a tack driver with any ammo that feeds in it and points naturally for me even though it seems to have a much too short length of pull (I'm 6' 2" and have long arms for my height) and the rifle appears youth sized when I shoulder it. Wouldn't give it up for the world.

John B said...

Tam, I think my conscience would kick in after the cocaine, but before the politics.

Anyone know where I could get a barrel or three for the Model 11, It's an odd model made for montgomery wards, and the aftermarket stocks don't fit.....

Anonymous said...

Ken--

That article was folksy and condescending toward us silly little gun owners; that's pretty tough to do.

Anonymous said...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v709/Vaarok/win95crate.jpg

Anonymous said...

Well, Tam,

I was thinking a tacti-cool, tricked out Guide Gun,with extended mag tube, loaded rails, and bayo lug might do the trick for you. ;~`)

However, it's evident that you've given the lever-thing a fair shake. And TRVTH is, the most up to date armament is pretty much obligatory, before one indulges one's retro-passions.

Did you catch John Barsness's article in Rifle/Handloader about his custom take-down Marlin .44mag?
He wanted it for travel in gun un-friendly states, as one specification.

The 'smith has a latch that allows the mag tube to stay fully loaded -- off the gun. Then mount the bbl to the action, and click-PRESTO, you are in bidness.

Anonymous said...

Ooops, John the Red -- J t R, responsible for above lever stuff.

West End of Lake Erie, where global warming has caused me to run out of shoveling room around the parking pad.

staghounds said...

Why doesn't my old 1893 Winchester shotgun make the list?

J.R.Shirley said...

Gotta love the 8/81. I've wanted one for a while.

JimB said...

Single Shot Rifles:
Winchester 1885

Bolt-action Rifles:
Winchester 1900

Lever-action Rifles:
Winchester 1886
Winchester 1892
+Winchester 1894
Winchester 1895

Slide-action Rifles:
Winchester 1890

Recoil-operated Semi-automatic Rifles:
Remington Model 8 and 81

Blowback-operated Semi-automatic Rifles:
+Browning .22 Semiauto

Double-barrel Shotguns:
Browning Superposed

Lever-action Shotguns:
Winchester 1887

Slide-action Shotguns:
Winchester 1897
+Remington Model 17 (later the Ithaca 37)
Stevens 520

Recoil-operated Semi-automatic Shotguns:
Browning Auto 5 / Remington Model 11

Blowback-operated Semi-automatic Pistols:
FN M1900
Colt 1903/1908 Pocket Hammerless (2x Type I 1903s)
FN 1906 Vest Pocket/+Colt 1908 Vest Pocket
FN 1910
Colt Woodsman

Recoil-operated Semi-automatic Pistols
Colt 1902
Colt 1903 Pocket Hammer
+++U.S. M1911
+FN G.P. 35

Gas-operated Machine Guns:
Colt M1895
U.S. M1918 BAR

Recoil-Operated Machine Guns:
U.S. M1917/M1919
U.S. M2 Heavy Machine Gun

leBolide said...

I'm the opposite on the two popular JMB handguns - love the Hi-Power, can't quite love the 1911, although I admit it's a darn cool gun.

And I desperately want a 1903 Pocket Hammer, too.