Saturday, July 24, 2010

All night long.

Bobbi and I went to brunch at The Red Eye, a new joint on Broad Ripple Avenue because, you know, there just aren't enough awesome places to eat breakfast here already.

The Red Eye has a twist, though: They not only have a great diner-style menu, but they're open twenty-four diner-style hours, all in a row and stuff..

I had a Red Eye chili omelet, which was a three egg omelet with peppers and onions, slathered with chili and sprinkled with cheese. It was served with home fries, and I ordered a side of bacon because, you know, bacon. The portions are huge, and at $6.99 for the entree, I had to push back from the home fries without cleaning my plate (although the part where the omelet had been was squeaky clean.) Of course, part of that could have been because I was raiding the basket of hand-breaded batter-fried shrooms Bobbi got as her side order.

Everything's fresh, nothing is frozen ("We don't even have a freezer!" is their boast,) and it's all prepped and cooked right there, the way all restaurants used to do it, before they all turned into cookie-cutter franchisees that order frozen pre-packaged crap from chain headquarters to nuke'n'serve.

The best super duper bonus? They deliver anything on the menu all night long. I can see this is going to become a staple of my late night diet.

7 comments:

Sean said...

The real problem I have is not with the franchises, but that the independent restaurants all seem to purchase their products from the same food suppliers.

Sounds like a good place if I'm ever in Indy for breakfast, though!

Matt G said...

With my deep night schedule, it's prol'ly best that joint ain't local. Oh my.

Bubblehead Les. said...

Sob! I'm stuck with IHOPE, Steak n' Sh#t, Damnyea's and Waffle House of Vomit if I get the munchies at 3am. :( Do they deliver to Ohio?

Gewehr98 said...

Sounds like a place like that would actually be dangerous for somebody on a diet...

Anonymous said...

Huh... guess I'm the only one with Lionel Ritchie in his head now.

Dammit.

Steve Skubinna said...

Don't sweat it Andy, that other Andy at The Atlantic has Sarah Palin in his head 24/7 and it's driven him barking batshit insane.

John B said...

I see some blog meets in my future.

As to that guy being barking batshit insane because he has Sarah Palin in his head.....

Dude, I've seen his work from before anyone heard of Sarah Palin.