- Why people prefer meat that is 80% lean to meat that is 20% fat?
- Why you lose your car keys? Or your car?
- Why folks will drive clear across town to save $25 on a $100 microwave, but will hardly cross the street for a "2.5% Off!" sale on a $1000 flat-screen TV?
- Why it's so hard to stay on a diet, and so easy to procrastinate?
- Why eyewitness testimony is about as reliable as a street vendor's "Rolex"?
People people left left.
That was a perfectly grammatical sentence, and made total sense.* Can I help it if our language centers are built out of garage sale leftovers that make it hard to process sentences like that?
If this is the kind of stuff that you find fascinating, may I recommend the book Kluge: The Haphazard Evolution of the Human Mind?
Witty and written in a conversational tone, it will have you saying "Huh!" and reading passages aloud to friends every few pages. The only thing that kept me from reading it at one sitting was the need to sleep. Pesky sleep.
*People who have been abandoned by other people have also departed.