Sunday, July 11, 2010

Random stuff...

Had a weird dream last night. Very "intimations of mortality" stuff. The only thing I really remember about it was telling my aunt that "it's not that I'm scared of dying, it's just that I realized I have so much stuff to do and so little time in which to do it."

Roomie sent me to the grocery store for breakfast fixin's. The grocery store before 8AM of a Sunday is a tranquil place; there's just the staff, a couple other shoppers, and you. I should make a note to do my shopping then more often.

Incidentally, I was reminded of my first "real" job, which was at a grocery store, by seeing the dude driving a broom up and down the aisles. I remember doing that. I also remember we had to empty the little ash cans at the end of every other aisle, a chore that no longer exists. I don't miss the idea of smoking in grocery stores at all; if I owned one in anarchotopia, I'd still post it "No Smoking" just to keep inconsiderate louts from ashing in the produce department.

Not only was the grocery store pleasantly empty, but so were the roads, which made putting the top down on the Bimmer that much more pleasant. 70 degrees, dead calm, and severe clear: If you don't drop the top on a day like today, they'll take your convertible away.

The iPod served up Rush's "Mystic Rhythms" and Cyndi Lauper singing "Time After Time" on the way to the store and, apparently sensing that I was now awake, KMFDM's "Juke Joint Jezebel" for the drive home. And I was grateful, because I am well aware that, no matter how broke I am, there are starving kids in India who didn't get to drive around in a Kraut roadster in perfect weather listening to KMFDM this morning.

16 comments:

Kirk said...

As a new convertible owner I whole heartedly agree with your statement about the weather and not having your top down.

I passed several convertibles yesterday after the rains cooled things down and nary a one had their tops down, almost criminal as far as I am concerned.

Jim said...

I know nothing of Ms. Lauper's treatment, but anyone who cares enough to mention "Time After Time" owes it to herself to hear the Ella Fitzgerald version.

And I lament that Chris Conner did not cover it.

perlhaqr said...

I remember when Juke Joint Jezebel was newly out and making heavy club rotation.

"The repetition! Hear, the repetition!"

Of course, having been a club DJ at the time, and having played it myself, I suppose I don't have any room to complain. :)

perlhaqr said...

Jim: Completely different song, same title.

Tam said...

Jim,

Different song. ;)


Perlhaqr,

Letting it lie fallow for near a decade has improved the tune immensely for me.

Anonymous said...

I had a gig in retail once, and it was always dead-quiet weekends before noon. Then they started showing up and making a complete mess of what would otherwise have been a nice day.

Then again the paycheck was nice.

Jim

Timmeehh said...

Kein Mitleid für Die Mehrheit

TJIC said...

> "it's not that I'm scared of dying, it's just that I realized I have so much stuff to do and so little time in which to do it."

How old are you?

I'm 38 and started having these sorts of thoughts and dreams earlier this year...

Tam said...

I've seen four more seasons of Sesame Street than you. :)

Justthisguy said...

On the "not enough time left" category, I, too, have had to cross some things off of my bucket list. First among them, it is very unlikely that I will get to ride in the Manx TT. Maybe you just have to be younger than 30 to engage in that kind of crazy fun.

I mind a web site kept by a woman who rode in that race. She had a pic of herself there, reclining on the sofa with casts and bandages, and her kids hanging about her and loving her.

I think she was younger than 30.

Justthisguy said...

P.s. I still hope to learn to read Bass Clef, and play the euphonium, before I die.

Crucis said...

One of my earliest memories was walking in our local Kroger's grocery with my mother and seeing a woman extinguish her cigarette on a ripe tomato.

Geez, I hadn't thought of that since I quit smoking 30 years ago!

Anonymous said...

I've seen customers do a lot more disgusting stuff than ashing a cig into the produce...

(Yeah, i work produce at Walmart).

Half eaten chicken wings, trays of hamburger meat, cherry pits, tobacco juice can all be found in produce bins once certain disgusting customers pass through the area.

Also, many like shopping in the early morning because of no crowds. I like working in the early morning. Sure, the wakeup sucks big time, but once I'm at work, I know I'll be off by two in the afternoon (once the real crowds start arriving)

Jim said...

>>>Different song. ;)<<<

The passing years will show me subject to an occasional moment of dementia.

You still need Ella and the Cahn song on your iGod.

:)

Will said...

I don't recall what it is, but The Isle has an age limit to qualify for your first race there.

mc said...

I heard the kids in India do that all the time, they just want us to think they are suffering.

They starve for pleasure and race their Bimmers around blasting kmfdm's bollywood remix all day and night from the age of, say, four, give or take.

That's what I heard.

-------------
Alright, now I am done leaving silly comments, got it out of my system.

Thank you and carry on...

mc