Sunday, October 27, 2013

Day At The Range...

Breakfast at Good Morning Mama's with Shootin' Buddy and then off to Iggle Crick.

Got to the range and started off by running Dot Torture with my Glock 19. I don't like shooting Glocks much, but this one gets 50 rounds every range trip because it's being used to T&E something.
Glock 19 and M&P 9 FS.
After shooting my 22/45 for a bit, I pulled out the M&P 9 which is, nominally at least, my carry gun. (I say 'nominally' because I've been carrying the .357SIG gun since the Midnight 3 Gun Match. I wanted to hose out the 9 and disassemble and scrub out all its mags and I've totally been meaning to do that and move the Crimson Trace Lasergrip and Lightguard back onto it since I came back from Oregon but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.)

I hadn't shot the gun without the light or laser on it in a long time, as can be evinced by the pull to the right on the first dots. Then I settled down and was doing okay until I threw one of the strong-hand-only shots, followed by a week-hand-only one, and then it was time to egregiously drop a pair of shots on #9 and #10 so I could finish up shooting a 46, down two to my performance with the Glock. I'm cleaning the Smith and putting the beams back on it tonight.

"Hey, little buckaroo! Get your dad to take you down to the Ace Hardware so you can spend your lawn-mowing money on the same gun Cowboy Sam used to defend the stagecoach from Black Bart!"
Shootin' Buddy had recently run across a little Colt Stagecoach Carbine; a Colteer auto cut down to carbine size and tarted up with some Country 'n' Western flair to appeal to the young fans of the horse operas that were all over the TV back then. Shooting it was fun, although the kid-size controls could be a little hard to work with grownup-size hands. Speaking of kids and guns...

If this picture were to be any cuter, it would need a slow loris in there somehow.
As we were getting ready to leave, a father and his little daughter came in to get the next generation of shooters off to a good start.

Single-loading a round in the SR-22's magazines for her, he would then guide her hands through each step. But as you can see, the actual shot was all her. Because 'Merica. (This was obviously not her first rodeo.)

After we left the range we went to Bradis to check on the ammo situation and pick up this 'n' that, and from there it was back to Broad Ripple for a yummy lunch at Thr3e Wise Men, where I got a half-growler of their "Breaking Barn" Milk Stout to go.

As Sundays go, this one's been pretty tough to top...

18 comments:

roland said...

The fully win-filled blog post. I'm smiling.

RabidAlien said...

That last photo is so full of win my monitor grew two whole inches (diagonally)!!! I have fond memories (and photos) of taking my 4-year-old to a friends' outdoor range, and her asking to shoot for the first time.

Scott J said...

My daughter just turned 6. I want to get her started (had her brother shooting around age 4) but she's a southpaw and I can't figure out how to get her to tell me which eye dominant she is.

Old NFO said...

Made of win (other than the dropped shots)... I did a range day too! :-)

Anonymous said...

Now that's just too cute for words... both the rifle and the little girl

Jon said...

Scott - hold up a picture, have her look at it with both eyes, and then cover one eye at a time, and tell her to tell you when the picture appears to 'move.'

When it does, you've covered up her dominant eye.

Anonymous said...

"I can't figure out how to get her to tell me which eye dominant she is."

You don't. You tell her.

Have her put both hands, forming a hole with her forefingers and thumbs. Have her look at you. Which eye are you seeing?

That is which eye dominant she is.

I am a doctor.

Shootin' Buddy

B said...

Indeed, it was a good one, wasn't it?

Tam said...

Been a pretty good weekend all 'round, for sure. :)

Anonymous said...

Damn woman that is some serious shootin'! The lil bit is as cute as a button! My Munchkin is six , but has not the least interest in shooting,(sad) ---Ray

Jennifer said...

That last one is so full of cute!

fast richard said...

When my daughter was that age, I had her shooting a little Beretta tip barrel in .22short. Years later she asked if that little thing had a magazine, as we had always loaded it one at a time.

KM said...

Why would the absence of a light or laser cause a pull to the right?

And yes, that's a cute pic!

Tam said...

KM,

"Why would the absence of a light or laser cause a pull to the right?"

With the small factory backstrap on the gun, bare hands, and a cold dry day, the somewhat slick and small diameter grip was squirreling around in my hands while I was pulling the trigger until I clamped down my grip more deliberately.

The Lasergrip is slightly larger and covered in a more "tacky" material than the factory "small" backstrap, and the Lightguard ads that tacky rubber-covered membrane switch underneath the trigger guard. Both of these apparently mask deficiencies in my grip.

KM said...

OK, now I get it.
I don't have a gun with changeable backstraps, so my 'raily' guns shoot the same whether they have a thingamajig attached to it or not.

I wish the LCR lasergrip had a softer feel to it.
It's just hard plastic and can get quite uncomfortable with real loads.

Firehand said...

Last Schutenfest one couple had their little girl, who fired her first .22 handgun shots; the smiling was Epic.

Reminded me of teaching my kids. A memory easy to pull up.

Once they can actually load and shot on their own, do you have any idea how many .22s a kid can go through?

og said...

The Slow Loris is in the black bag on the right. As far as we know.

The oglet made the local sporting paper on her first range day.

Archer said...

Question on the dot torture: for dots 9 and 10, do you load one round into each magazine so that you're reloading from a locked slide?