Saturday, November 28, 2015

For those about to Glock...

So, last Monday night at work, I installed the ZEV connector and NY1 trigger spring combination from Brownells. This was actually the first time I'd done this myself. Myriad videos, diagrams, and step-by-step instructions are available on the intertubes to assist.

The factory trigger (called a 5.5# pull) weighed six pounds, according to my RCBS fish scale. Typical of a Glock trigger, there was a long, almost weightless takeup, and then a crunchy six pound break. With the ZEV connector and NY1 spring, there's a continuous weight on the trigger through the pull, and then a more defined break; similar in character to a DA revolver trigger but with much less travel. It measured seven pounds on the RCBS scale.

Tuesday afternoon, I took it out on the range to try my handiwork. This happened:

Hmm...

Sure enough, in the process of removing or reinstalling the slide stop, the slide stop spring had ceased functioning. Free to flop around all broke-dick, the slide stop was bouncing up and engaging under recoil. I held it down with my thumb and finished off the box of ammo. (S&B 230gr FMJ purchased at work.)

I probably need a little more finger on the trigger, but truthfully my mind was more on the slide stop issues than on pistol marksmanship.

When I got home, I got on Amazon and ordered a Tango Down Vickers Tactical Slide Stop which, thanks to the magic of Amazon Prime, arrived on my doorstep the next day. I installed it Thanksgiving evening and it seems to work fine.

Incidentally, this was an Amazon purchase, too. The Safariland ALS Concealment Paddle Holster ships with both paddle and belt loop attachments, and at less than forty bucks is a vastly superior alternative to the Fobus and Derpa competition.

The Glock 37 has now fired 220 rounds since it was last cleaned or lubed, with one parts breakage. 1,780 rounds to go.
.