Thursday, September 12, 2019

Yesterday, Part One

Fuji X-E1, Zeiss Touit 32mm f/1.8
So, my plan yesterday was to make a trial run to the zoo using the new Red Line. Sort of a benchmark to see how long it took and how much of a hassle it was. My feeling was that if it was a breeze to walk, it'd be worth popping for an annual membership at the zoo next time I had some spare  cash.

So I left the house at 12:30 and walked to the nearest Red Line stop, at 54th & College (not the one pictured above.) Just as I reached College, a southbound bus pulled up to the station and pulled away. Well, that meant ten minutes of sitting until the next one arrived. As things happened, it turned out to be only eight before I was boarding a half full bus headed south.

People were getting on and off at every station, though, so the Red Line was definitely seeing use, and the bus was pretty much at least three quarters full for every stop from 42nd to the Medical Center stop at IU Health.

Nikon D700, Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6 VR
I got off at the Statehouse station, the last one before the bus jogs east to the central depot before continuing south to Fountain Square.

The Statehouse station is facing the southeast corner of the state capitol building. From there it's a couple blocks walk along Washington Street until you get to the museums and White River State Park. A short walk through the park and you reach the old Washington Street bridge over the White River, which has been converted to a pedestrian bridge that links the museums and concert venues on one side with the White River Promenade, White River Gardens, and Indianapolis Zoo on the other side.

iPhone 7 Plus
After taking a brief wrong turn on the Promenade, I asked a jogger for directions and was pointed toward the correct path to the zoo's front gate.

I bought my ticket, wandered through the gate, and checked my watch. It was 1:37, which put it at slightly over an hour door to door, given a wait for the bus and plenty of dawdling and picture taking. (Plus it was hotter than Satan's stovetop yesterday.) But, hooray! I was at the zoo!

To be continued...
.