Friday, September 13, 2019

Yesterday (well, day before yesterday), Part Three

I had a pair of full-frame bodies with me at the zoo: A Nikon D700 and a Canon 5D Mark II. It wasn't really a comparison, because they were wearing very different sorts of lenses. The Nikon had a 24-120mm "travel zoom" lens, a focal length range good for a wide variety of shooting.

The Canon, on the other hand, was fitted with the 70-200mm f/2.8L zoom, a lens I'd been itching to play with at the zoo since the day I got it...








For a pair of cameras that haven't been cutting edge for a decade, they both did pretty well, I think.

All my zoo photography thus far has been with APS-C or smaller sensors, so as it turned out, I often found myself wanting more reach from the 70-200. It was so bright outside that even capturing flying water droplets from the grizzly was doable without having to resort to wide apertures, and I only made use of the full f/2.8 in the desert biome and snake exhibit. In retrospect, I should have brought along my 2X Extender, because the 140-400mm focal length would have perfectly complemented the other camera and having the maximum aperture reduced to f/5.6 would have been no handicap.
.