Monday, November 18, 2019

Bad Commands

Craig Douglas with a very important public service announcement for the handgun toter...



One of the worst places to be as a citizen, is held at gunpoint by multiple police officers who are issuing conflicting or poor commands. I observed this phenomenon quite a bit during my law enforcement career. A horrific example of this is the shooting of Daniel Shavers by Mesa, AZ. police officer Philip Brailsford in 2016. The footage below is from an Armed Movement in Structures (AMIS) class recently conducted in Albuquerque, NM and is an unscripted free flowing discussion between myself and the students, that is not part of the normal coursework. This is just a conversational sidebar in class but the topic of what the best course of action one should take when in this situation, is something that merits time and experimentation. Something I said or the way I said it may very well offend some police officers. As someone who spent over two decades as a full time police officer and retired honorably, I can say that if what I say upsets you, then do something about the problem. If you don’t, then you’re not part of the solution and the public will continue to view you with distrust. CD
A post shared by Craig Douglas (@southnarc) on