Wednesday, May 03, 2023

Managing the Unsafe Student

Greg Ellifritz has a good post on how he handles students in class who are having difficulty adhering to stated safety expectations:
"I don’t have any hard and fast rules. It depends on the class, the other students, and whether I think I can remediate the student’s problems without slowing down the rest of the class.

It also depends on the violation. Someone who has good muzzle discipline but is unintentionally putting his finger into the trigger guard too early is a very different problem than someone who is casually muzzling me or the other students.
"
Whether you are an instructor yourself (and I'm not) or just a frequent student, it's worth a read.

I like that he draws the distinction between someone who is unsafe due to fatigue or medical reasons and someone who is having a hard time with following the safety rules.

If you're a student, I think it's kinda incumbent on you to also keep an eye on your own performance. I've pulled myself off the line a couple times when I noticed that I'd reached a level of fatigue or dehydration that was reducing my ability to focus enough to cause me concern.

.