Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Boomsticks: The timing couldn't be worse...

I have a thing for milsurp rifles. My affliction has progressed past the point where the quick fix of a Yugo Mauser or a M1944g carbine does anything for me; I'm mainlining Mannlicher-Schoenauers and Springfield MkI's with the Pedersen cut.

What should walk into the shop yesterday? The very first Canadian Ross that I've ever seen in real life, and thanks to the M39, Greek M-S, and the .44 Hand ejector, I'm so broke I can't even afford to pay attention. It's a Ross MkII that's had the stock sporterized, so it's out on the floor for only $399. Someone please come buy this thing so I don't have to stare at it all day. Please? With sugar on top?

3 comments:

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

I love to read about and look at pictures of Mannlicher rifles, but I have yet to find one with the quality I want that I can afford.

I think they are the most beautiful of rifles, while my BinL thinks they are the ugliest of weapons.

Eye of the beholder I suppose!

Anonymous said...

The Charm School. DeMille is the Auth IIRC.

Anonymous said...

A buddy of mine had a nice Ross rifle and a 1870 (?) single-shot 11mm Mauser rifle. He's always made only "working class" money and bought them before there was much collector interest in either one. Unfortunately, they were both stolen in a robbery a few years back and never recovered. Now he's priced out of the market for both of those and can't replace them.

I'm just glad I started buying Garands from the CMP when I did. The current offerings are more expensive and lower quality then the ones I got. I can't afford the going market rates on the CMP rifles I own.