Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Blog Stuff: Busy morning...

I started the day off with a bang by meeting long-time blogger Charles Hill of Dustbury fame for breakfast at the local Cracker Barrel, as he swung through Knox Vegas on his World Tour '07. He's as witty in person as he is online and, despite having been blogging since the web was steam-powered and data was transmitted by banging two rocks together, modestly starts hardly any stories with "When Glenn Reynolds was a pup..." All too soon he was off to Nashville and I was off to Turkey Creek for errands.

Before the main event at the World of Wally, I had to swing by Borders. You see, I've been re-reading (for, like, the third time) Michael Curtis Ford's The Ten Thousand which is, along with his Gods And Legions, one of my favorite historical novels. I mentioned this on my blog yesterday, and look who turned up in the comments section. When an author comments on your blog, you have to go buy one of his books. That's a rule, I think. So I picked up a copy of The Sword Of Attila, which appears to revolve around Aetius, one of the most interesting figures of late Imperial history, and is therefore pretty much guaranteed to be an enjoyable read.

Then off to Wally World for shelving. Finally having some free time on my hands, VFTP Command Central is being converted from the place where I sleep back to the place where I live. One shelving unit was of the large, black, plastic, ventilated kind to go directly behind my desk chair and serve as a rack for the PowerBook museum I have inadvertently started. Horse trading with Marko yesterday netted me a 1400 and a 2400c, and I had earlier traded him out of a longtime dream machine of mine, a G3 Wall Street. So now all the Mac laptops have a home, and I've run an extension cord up behind it so that I can keep the ones I use regularly all charged up. The other shelving unit was for DVDs, which didn't anywhere near fill it. Clever bookends had to be used, such as a neat bronze statue of a Spartan hoplite and the cup-type grenade launcher for a World War One British Lee-Enfield rifle. Old boxes are getting hauled off, things are getting sorted onto shelves, and it's starting to look like home again for the first time in the last three years or so.

4 comments:

Kevin said...

I'm a big fan of Michael Curtis Ford too. The first book of his that I read was The Ten Thousand, which prompted me to go buy Anabasis by Xenophon. That's so cool that he commented on your blog!

Anonymous said...

So you and I have a shared epiphany today. I just finished dinner with one Mr. C.G. Hill in Nashville. You are spot on with your comment that he is "as witty in person as he is online." I had been an avid reader of his stuff since before I started blogging and took him to be one of my guiding lights. What a thrill to meet up with him.

I like what I see here and will be back, fo sho, fo sho... Y'all come over for a visit sometime soon.

Jay G said...

"When an author comments on your blog, you have to go buy one of his books. That's a rule, I think."

That's what did with Ambulance Driver.

BTW, if you don't have his book you're missing out... (Free plug, AD)...

NotClauswitz said...

That's kewl, you go grrrl.