Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Quote of the Day:

Marina in comments over at Unc's place:

I’m a self-employed, independent woman who pays her own bills and enjoys the company of the opposite sex but does not “need” a partner to survive.

That said, I’ll never, ever identify myself as a feminist. Naming a movement that is allegedly about gender equality after only one gender is like announcing a new campaign to end the Ethiopia/Eritrea conflict and calling it “Ethiopianism.” That’ll make those Eritreans draw up a peace treaty then and there…

4 comments:

Chas S. Clifton said...

Sounds me like saying, "I want all the benefits of the first-wave (19th century) and second-wave (1970s-present) feminism," but don't call me one, because I don't like some feminists' political stands on other issues.

My mom was the same way.
;-)

Anonymous said...

She's right.

But "humanism" was already taken, and means something else.

"Nobody will ever win the Battle of the Sexes. There's just too much fraternizing with the enemy." -- Henry Kissinger

Anonymous said...

Spoken like a true Eritrean.

Wasn't the first wave of feminism in Cicero's day? Or did he just make it sound that way?

Once you accept the idea that your rights were brought to you by some movement, of course you'll be ashamed not to pay dues to it. If a bunch of women hadn't clawed their way up onto that pedestal in the first place, they wouldn't have to be fighting their way down off it now. A pistol on the hip (or under the blazer, nyaa) tells me more about a female than an NOW card. More good stuff, anyway.

Anonymous said...

The funny thing to me is, women like Tam, "Scully" at Skywritings, etc. are not considered "feminist" by the feminazis. This despite the fact that both ladies are intelligent beyond the norm, independent as hell, and making their own way through life. (Not to mention far better at writing then I will ever be!!) But I think to be a "feminist" one has to have a required degree of victimhood and anger at "the man" or "the system"...or "something".