Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The new iThingy...

The built-in video camera in the G5 iPod Nano has got me wanting to scoop it up and take footage of nearly everything, but that wasn't the feature that most surprised me. No, the feature that most surprised me is this:

Yesterday, when driving home from the grocery store, an orchestral piece came on that I didn't recognize. Engaged in the act of driving, I blindly reached over to the passenger seat and punched the button in the middle of the click wheel to bring up the video display so that I could lift the screen to eye level as soon as I made my next turn, and before I could do so a ghostly voice wafted over the car's speakers, saying "Untitled. Guns and Roses."

Huh! Robbie the Robot will tell me what I'm listening to without me even having to look at the screen. This modern Jetson's world of yours is fascinating!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

The back half of November Rain by chance?

Jim

w/v: eanda. One eanda, ah ah ah.

Linoge said...

Even newer gadgets will tell you what you are listening to even when they are not the device playing it.

That really blows my mind.

Tam said...

Jim,

The soundtrack piece on the single of "Sympathy With The Devil" from Interview With A Vampire, actually.

Anonymous said...

Huh. Might be an interesting listen. Neat trick, anyway.

Jim

ViolentIndifference said...

Daughter Judy. Na na na Na na na...

ViolentIndifference said...

I just pulled up a Guns and Roses Sympathy for the Devil, but it must not have been the right one. It was not orchestral. I did hear "orchestral" in the Blood, Sweat, and Tears version, though. I doubt that was right either.

Now I'll have the song running through my head as I try to fall asleep...

Anonymous said...

What if Robbie is one of those guys who pipes up with info like it's fact when it's just a guess?

Or worse, names the wrong track/performer just to fuck with you?

sam said...

Curses, woman! (just kidding) Now I want a (cheap) Nano5 even more.

Matt G said...

We got one for my elder child, and I'm damned impressed. At $100 for a refurb, it's a stellar deal.

Joel said...

Yeah, yeah - we got Kirk's magic communicator, and more. But where the hell is my flying car?

Tam said...

Violentindifference,

I have the CD single, which has two tracks on it: the G&R cover of "Sympathy for the Devil" and an orchestral track from the movie score of Interview With A Vampire.

BobG said...

I have a 5g nano for the simple reason that when the 6g version came out, all the places around here dropped the prices drastically on the 5g. Nice little unit; and I only have half of the 16gb full on it so far.

ViolentIndifference said...

Tam: Ah. Reading comprehension problem on my part.

Bob H said...

Don't worry, Robbie will never choose your songs for you...

Signed
Barry