Tuesday, December 17, 2013

For the roundgun lover...


Smith & Wesson Hand Guns, by Roy McHenry and Walter Roper (Yes, that Walter Roper.)

Enjoyable S&W history book, written before the company was even a hundred years old. It'd make a swell last minute Christmas gift for any wheelgun nuts you know.

Incidentally, the discerning Smith nut will note that although the book was originally published in 1945, the cover photo on this softcover reprinting features new-production "classic" Smiths: No knobs on the ends of the ejector rods, three-screw sideplates, and the contour of the frame around the hammer are your giveaways.

6 comments:

Old NFO said...

That's a nice one, know where anymore are? I've got a friend that's a S&W nut... :-)

Old NFO said...

Dang it, hit enter too early, ORIGINAL ones are...

Tim Ellwood said...

Now I just bought my 1st "gun book" on my kindle. Hope the cloud does not disappear before I do.

Just got the Howdah Pistol I bought myself a for my birthday, not a S&W but very neat just the same.

Anonymous said...

Tam (or other knowledgeable people), would you know of a reference book on Colts that (1) covers the double action revolvers (2) is currently being published or available at less than scalper's prices and (3) doesn't suck.

I'd like to pick one up for my Dad, but he has always preferred the dancing pony.

Thanks,

Rob

Old NFO said...

Not trying to hijack the thread, but Rob, the best one I could recommend is "3rd Edition of The Book of Colt Firearms" by R.L. Wilson. BUT it's right at $150...

Anonymous said...

Old NFO,

Thanks for the suggestion. I am aware of R.L. Wilson's book (my reference to scalper's prices).And everybody seems to think the Standard Catalog of Colt Firearms kind of sucks. I see the Standard Catalog has a new edition for 2013. I think I might go that route. At least it has some pretty pictures.

Rob