- The Ukraine situation is still as tense as ever, and Russia could invade the eastern part of the country to "help stabilize things" any ol' minute.
- China is jumping froggy with territorial claims all over its eponymous seas.
- And the entire southern and eastern Mediterranean littoral, with the exception of Israel and the parts of Egypt under direct control of its military, is one great big Failed State, as ungoverned as it has been since Gaiseric of the Vandals sacked Carthage. And we share responsibility, by engaging in some more of that creative 'regime change' we keep trying to get right, for a big chunk of that.
- Iran and North Korea are still proliferatin' away, but we're de-MIRVed. Unilaterally. To set a good example that Russia and China and everybody else is sure to follow.
- Israel is fending off another attack from Sunni Hamas, while Sunni ISIS is only one narrow and wobbly Jordan away from being able to join in on that party.
If there were a Republican in the White House right now, you can be sure that there'd be reporters with dogs and torches trampling the herbaceous borders in the Rose Garden, braying about how the world is closer to Armageddon than any time since the Cold War, but when it's their guy* at the helm? Crickets.
*...and I mean their guy. For good or ill the blame or praise for anything this administration does rests equally at 1600 Penn Ave and 30 Rock. The traditional media covered his '08 campaign with less scrutiny and marginally more adulation than they would have a Beatles reunion tour, were such a thing possible. Journalism went right out the window in a flurry of tingles.