Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Hardware report...

The gun I used in class was this Gen2 Glock 17. It had 1,051 rounds in the book since I bought it with no malfunctions in the last 1,000+ (since I replaced the goofy trigger that the previous owner had put in it.)

The only two changes I made to the gun before class were adding the Overwatch Precision TAC trigger and NY1 trigger spring, and moving my T&E Gadget from my Glock 19 carry gun to this one.

I think if you're going to be going into and out of a CCW holster with a Glock dozens, if not hundreds, of times over the course of a weekend and have access to a Gadget, you'd be a fool not to use it.

Also, there was an inadvertently funny Gadget advertisement. In order to demonstrate how anemic handguns actually are, as well as how easy it is to make even the most reliable ones choke, Tom asked if anyone in the class was shooting a Glock 17. I was the only one to raise my hand, and so I forked my pistol over to be used for the demo.

Before I realized that "Um, maybe my gun's not the one to use for this particular demo," he had his thumb on the back of the slide to prove that it could be held shut by thumb pressure alone while it was fired. He was yanking on the trigger as hard as he could with no effect when someone piped up with "It's got a Gadget on it."

D'oh! I'd gotten so used to it that I hadn't even thought about it.

I had a couple-three FTE's on day one and two more early on day two, mostly due to a poor grip with a sweaty paw and low-powered ammo. There was (as I expected) one failure-to-fire with hard-primered Russian ammo.

I'll note that with my Glocks and the Sig Sauer P320, I expect a failure to fire every several hundred rounds of Russian ammo, whereas with the Steyr C9 I was getting them at a rate of one-in-fifty.

Very happy with the Overwatch Precision trigger. The flat face makes it very obvious if you have your finger out of place; fantastic feedback.

Counting the Federal HSTs that were in the gun on day one, which got blown downrange in the name of putting fresh BBs in the gun at the end of class, I expended 872 rounds of ammunition. (That'd be all the empty boxes in the picture above.)

The gun earned a cleaning, and is still in my holster until I can get around to cleaning and lubing my Glock 19 and moving the Gadget back to it.
.