Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Catholic Tastes

Some people dig vintage muscle cars and other like Porsches. Still others are into British sports cars or Corvettes. Me? I just like cars. Pretty much all kinds of cars.

I wouldn't say it's the main reason I carry a camera around with me at all times, but it's definitely one of the main reasons. Some people are bird watchers or trainspotters, and I'm a car capturer.

I'm especially fond of spotting older iron that's obviously still in regular use as transportation. It doesn't have to be pristine, either.



So when I ran across this piece at Car and Driver, I was tickled:
"God knows social media sucks. Careers implode on Twitter, families destroy each other on Facebook, and Instagram is an excellent medium for sharing photos that will one day lead to social ostracism and personal embarrassment. But there is one thing that all those platforms are wonderful at doing: sharing photos of cars. 
[snip] 
Occasionally I'll take a photo of a new Porsche 911 Turbo S or McLaren, but it's the old stuff still being used as transportation that is the best. It's always so much better to see an old car on the road than it is to see one parked at some show with its owner next to it snoring in a lawn chair. 
Car shows have never done much for me. So a car is parked on the lawn. Big whoop. But seeing an old car that's still being used as a car is always thrilling to see. Cars at car shows are often museum pieces, restored and preserved. Meanwhile, cars that are still being used are still making history. How they look at any particular moment doesn't mean it will look the same in a couple of months with another couple thousand miles on the odometer."

.