Sunday, October 23, 2022

Cybercrunk

I'm a huge fan of William Gibson. Probably my favorite SF writer, all in all. He's a real rarity in that he not only spins a good yarn, and writes good dialog and action scenes, but he's a really talented prose stylist, too. Neuromancer's opening line, "The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel" is pretty much the "Call me Ishmael" of sci fi. 

I have no idea how many times I've read the Sprawl trilogy or the Bridge trilogy, but it's a lot.

Which made it interesting that I eagerly bought The Peripheral when it first came out in 2014, pre-ordered it on Kindle in fact, and then it...just didn't get its hooks into me for some reason. I took two runs at it, getting maybe twenty pages in each time, before setting it aside and never getting back around to it.

Bobbi was eager to watch the new Amazon Prime TV show, and was afraid I wouldn't want to since I hadn't yet read the book. I figured "What the heck. Either I'll get into it enough to want to take another whack at the novel, or it will confirm that I don't need to pick it back up."

We watched the first episode over dinner last night.

Looks like I'll be picking the book back up.

This is the cybercrunk vibe.



.