Sunday, October 30, 2022

HoosieRaptor

So I was headed out the door yesterday to walk over to Twenty Tap for lunch and to do some writing. I almost grabbed the 1D Mark IV & 24-105/4L that's kinda become my default camera choice of late, but at the last minute I thought "Y'know, I haven't played with that old D2X for a while..."

So I picked up the Nikon and, almost at random, pulled the 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G II zoom off the shelf.

I'd made it about two blocks toward the restaurant when I was suddenly glad I'd picked the crop sensor camera and superzoom, let me tell you...


I think that's a Cooper's hawk, but I'm not a hundred percent on that. EDIT: I'm informed it is, in fact, a red-tailed hawk.

Shooting birds in flight is tricky, and I was a little undergunned with only a 300mm equivalent focal length, but I waited around until he took off and gave it a try.



Pretty cool...

.