Thursday, October 13, 2022

Automotif CCCXLVIII...

We've encountered this 1966 Plymouth Satellite hardtop coupe in Citron Gold Metallic before, almost two years ago to the day. That day I had my work camera with me, the 50MP Canon 5DS.

This time I just had an old 2007-vintage Canon EOS-1D Mark III, sporting a 10MP sensor, two fewer megapixels than the sensor on the phone in my pocket. The camera's sensor is physically much larger, of course. The APS-H sensor in the 1D Mark III measures 34.47mm diagonally, compared to something like 9.69mm for the 1/1.66" sensor in the phone.

Here's a picture shot with the old pro Canon and a 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS zoom lens:


...and here's one shot with the iPhone 13 Pro Max's "standard" camera which has a 26mm-equivalent f/1.5 lens:


One problem with the phone was I had my choice of the standard lens, which is still pretty wide-angle as you can tell from the cartoony distortion of the car's proportions; the ultra-wide, which would have been worse; or the "telephoto", which has a roughly 77mm focal length equivalent, and I couldn't get back far enough to get the whole car in the frame.

The shot with the zoom lens on the camera was taken at 38mm which, given the 1.3x crop factor of the APS-H sensor, works out to roughly 49mm. 

Huh. Imagine the car looking "normal" at a roughly 50mm equivalent focal length...

.